CELEBRATE EARTH DAY EVERY DAY
Earth Day serves as a reminder to protect our environment, restore our ecosystems and live a more sustainable life. In Austin Texas, locals and visitors often turn to nature to recharge. Weekends are commonly spent in green spaces, such as Zilker Park, Lady Bird Lake Hike-and-Bike Trail or Barton Creek Greenbelt.
Fairmont Austin implements multiple eco-conscious initiatives to benefit the local community and the planet. This mission is championed by a dedicated Planet 21 colleague committee. Planet 21 (named by ACCOR for changing the 21st century for the common good) is devoted to taking a closer look at how Fairmont Austin can reduce its impact on the environment.
ENERGY-EFFICIENT & WASTE REDUCTION HOTEL OPERATION INITIATIVES INCLUDE:
- Charging stations offered for electric vehicles (on-site)
- Use of Energy Efficient light bulbs throughout the hotel
- Removal of single-use plastic straws, stirrers and cotton buds
- Sorting of recycled paper, glass, cardboard and plastic
- Use of low flow water devices throughout the hotel (lavatory faucets – 1.2 GPM, Shower Heads 2.0 GPM, low flush toilets 1.28 gallons per flush)
- Use of our carbon footprint calculator for our guests and partners to calculate the remaining carbon footprint of their accommodation or event and purchase certified carbon credits to balance the remaining emissions as part of Accor’s long-term commitment to reach zero net-carbon emissions by 2050
In addition, Fairmont Austin also seeks to empower local organizations who put the environment first. We are delighted to offer the option to donate $10 to Waterloo Greenway Conservancy to guests when booking a stay through the month of May. Donations benefit Waterloo Greenway, a 1.5-mile park system with a planned 35 acres of connected green space that will be home to a wild array of natural and cultural destinations in Austin.